Friday, 9 September 2011

Brief Introduction to my Research topic : The Vatican Library

For my research topic I have selected “The Vatican Library” also known as the “Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana” or “The Library of the Pope”, which is one of the largest and oldest libraries in the world, established around the year 1475.
Because of my catholic roots, I have a special interest on this research topic as I consider the Vatican library as the most authoritative collection of catholic teachings and tradition, holding books, manuscripts and scrolls dating back to the origins of Christianity in the first century.

I.      Research Scope
Being the Vatican Library the custodian of one of the most significant collections of historical texts, I will limit the scope of my research to the origins of the library and how the diverse collection of material was obtained and later evolved into the current state. I will also give some attention at the impact of new technology and how the WEB is changing the way in which the content is being made available to patrons or other people interesting in researching about the Catholic history and teachings.

II.     Areas of Research
Based on the scope outlined above, the 3 main areas of my research will be:
1.    The origin and the following seven centuries.
2.    Collections and early manuscripts.
3.    The impact of new technology. The new Virtual Library.

Over the next following weeks I will be posting a blog on each of the above research areas and I hope you will find the topics interesting gain some insight into what it is for me an amazing library with a huge history behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment